A delicate alternative to traditional pumpkin pie.
Lovely and delicious—don’t forget the whipped cream!
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups cooked, mashed acorn squash*
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mix together sugars, flour, salt, spices and squash. Stir in butter, eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into pastry shell and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake for 40 minutes, or until pastry is browned and filling is set (a knife inserted into center comes out clean).
Serve warm or cold with a dollop of whipped cream.
*Other yellow winter squash such as Hubbard or butternut can also be used. Purée the cooked squash in a blender first for a smooth, silky pie.